Rosemary has a very attractive aroma in that it is used in cooking to add good flavor to food. The plant is also used widely in beauty products as a fragrance and the essential oil from this plant has become very popular as well. The oil is extracted from the flowers of the rosemary plant through steam distillation before it is used for in different applications for different purposes. Amongst the reasons why the essential oil of rosemary is popular is the positive effects it has on the nervous system, respiratory system and the immune system.
The primary benefits of rosemary essential oil are:
· Soothing of muscle pains and aches
· Supporting healthy digestion
· Reducing fatigue and nervous tension
· Promoting hair growth and treating the scalp
· Improving memory
· Detoxifying the bladder and boosting gallbladder function
· Lowering cortisol
Emotional benefits of the oil
Spiritually and emotionally, the essential oil of rosemary is beneficial in improving mental clarity, mental expansion and insight. It helps in processing happenings around you more consciously without any distractions. Using the oil can therefore help in making good decisions even in challenging situations.
The good thing about rosemary oil is that it can be blended with other oils to achieve added benefits. You can use it with peppermint, lavender, basil as well as eucalyptus essential oils.
Using the oil
Before using the oil, you need to know that it should be avoided by people who have epilepsy and by pregnant women because it can lead to high blood pressure that can be dangerous. Also, before using the oil, make a point of testing and looking out for any negative skin reactions. It should also be kept off the nose, ears and eyes.
· To help digestion, rub the rosemary oil on the bottom part of the feet or around the stomach. The skin will absorb the oil to fetch you desired effects.
· To relieve and reduce stress, fatigue and tension, the oil can be applied topically or diffused.
· Use a few drops of the oil in your meat for delicious flavors. You can also rub a drop of the oil in your hand and cup the hands over the nose and mouth to rejuvenate the senses and to elevate the nerves.
· Mix sandalwood, rosemary, lemon, geranium, lavender and frankincense essential oils in equal parts to make an anti-wrinkle blend that can be applied topically.
· To make a rosemary peppermint shampoo for shiny healthy hair, combine castile soap, water or coconut milk and add at least 10 drops of rosemary essential oil and at least 2 drops of peppermint oil.
· To make an eye serum to get rid of puffy eyes and red skin under your eyes, mix the oil with almond and lavender oils and put the mixture in a roller bottle before placing the bottle around the eyes for relief.
To get the full benefits of rosemary essential oil, make sure that you buy your oil from reputable suppliers. It is best to buy pure oil to enjoy the benefits for a long period of time.